2004 to 2006
- The console was known by the code name of "Revolution" until April 27, 2006. It was announced at E3 2004 using a development menu with no version number identified. Beta models were unveiled at at E3 2005 as a modified Gamecube and the offical Wii was demoed at E3 2006.
- The system menu shown at E3 2005 was that of a Gamecube if the console started without a disc, but when a disc was inserted it would show a black screen with the word Wii on it.
- The system menu shown at E3 2006 showed that it was very similar to system menu 1.0, with slight cosmetic variances.
- Hackmii.com recently got access to a possible kiosk Wii console which requires a Startup disc for it to operate, further investigation from the Hackmii Team revealed that only 5 titles were installed on it. The titles included: 1-2, IOS4v3, IOS9v1, BCv0, MIOSv0.
- Hackmii's kiosk Console has a stub of a system menu installed as 1-2, version 1, using IOS4. It is currently unknown how many variation of the Wii with a Prelaunch system was shown or given to the general public.
WARNING: Be advised that if your system is shipped with 4.0 preinstalled, you can not downgrade and will brick your console.
Inside a System Menu TPL, there exists a unused DVD icon, and an Animal Crossing message icon (shown at E3 2006; see link below).