Bathaxx is a safe way to enable homebrew on a Wii without hardware modification. Bathaxx is achieved by playing a hacked game save for LEGO Batman which executes a homebrew application from an external SD card. Examples of such homebrew .elf or .dol files can be found on the Homebrew applications page. The bathaxx was created by Team Twiizers & lewurm.
Usage & Installation
- SD card (not SDHC) formatted as FAT16 or FAT32
- Some possibility to copy the savegame from the PC to the SD card (i.e. card reader)
- LEGO Batman ;-) (you have to boot it at least once before)
- Some homebrew software to load, e.g. the HackMii Installer. Although this isn't necessary, it's highly recommended ;-)
- (OPTIONAL) If you have an existing "LEGO Batman" savegame. MOVE it to another SD CARD.
- Copy the "private" directory from the Bathaxx download to the root of your SD card.
- Take your homebrew executable program and put it in the ROOT of your SD card as "boot.elf"
- Put your SD card in your Wii and turn it on.
- Go into Wii Options -> Data Management -> Save Data -> Wii.
- Go to SD card and select the "Bathaxx" savegame that corresponds to your game region.
- NOTE: Some people are having problems with the Wii not "seeing" the savegame on the SD card. If you are experiencing this, try setting the archive bit for the data.bin file. In Windows this can be either be done from the file's properties dialog (right click on it in Windows Explorer and check the box) or from the command line using "attrib +a <path to data.bin>". More info at #wiihelp on EFnet.
- Copy the savegame to the Wii.
- Boot LEGO Batman.
- Load the saved game you just copied to the Wii.
- You are now in the batcave, take the elevator on the right side. Then in the trophy room, go to the upper left corner and go through the door in order to enter the "Wayne Manor". Now you can select a character. Choose the last enabled one in the lowest row.
- Can it load files from the internal SD slot?
- Yes. This is what it does.
- Can I load GameCube homebrew with this?
- Not directly. Though you can use the Wii Gamecube Homebrew Launcher once you've got your Wii ready for homebrew.
- What about if I use doltool or dol2elf?
- No. These tools merely change the container file format, it does not convert between GameCube/Wii code.
- Does this work with the new v4.3 System Menu update?
- What about our current saves?
- There's no easy way to merge saves between files. Use the Bathaxx to install the Homebrew Channel, then copy your old savefile back into place. You probably don't want to merge your save anyway, Nintendo's M.O. of fixing these things is to simply delete the entire save when found.
- Please do not copy/hotlink/whatever, just link here.
- If you use this exploit for piracy, you will entirely brick your Wii. srsly! (i.e. please don't use it for warez. kthx)
- Why I released the exploit? Please read this.
- Team Twiizers (obviously :-))
- In particular segher, for releasing all this awesome stuff!
- roto, which found the original vulnerability (since I use exactly the same vulnerability as in Indiana Jones...)
- joedj for the chksum fix
- drmr for the awesome banner
- Gecko OS (nuke et al.)
- Tester: skinner33 (PAL), roto (NTSC)
- tomjoks for hosting