|Downloadable via the Homebrew Browser|
FBZX Wii is a ZX Spectrum emulator.
The project is based on FBZX originally written by Sergio Costas (http://www.rastersoft.com/fbzx.html).
FBZX Wii can be found on google code at fbzx-wii.googlecode.com
The program uses SDL Wii library.
The main features are:
- Emulates accurately the Original 48Kspectrum (both issue 2 and issue 3), the classic 128K, the Amstrad Plus 2, the Amstrad Plus 2A, the Spanish 128K and the NTSC 48k. This includes screen, keyboard and sound (both speaker and AY-3-8912 chip).
- Screen emulation is extremely accurate, so it can emulate border effects and even attribute effects.
- In precision mode floating bus and interrupt timing are accuratly emulated.
- Frambuffer resolution at 640X480 or 320X240.
- Supports Z80 snapshots, both loading and saving, and loading .SNA snapshots.
- Supports TAP (both read and write) and TZX (only read) tape files, supporting normal speed loading and instant loading.
- Tape browser
- Supports POKE files.
- Supports ZIP files.
- FTP client for loading games from internet repositories (e.g. WOS).
- Emulates up to 2 joysticks of types: kempston, cursor and sinclair1 and sinclair2.
- All the wiimote, nunchuck and classic controller buttons and joypads are fully configurable.
- IR Virtual keyboard support.
- Emulates the Interface I and Microdrive.
- Emulates the ULAPlus
- Based in a new, fully free, Z80 emulator (Z80Free).
Untar the binary release on your SD card or usb device, which gives you a structure as follows:
/fbzx-wii/fbzx /fbzx-wii/spectrum-roms /fbzx-wii/tapes /fbzx-wii/snapshots /fbzx-wii/microdrives /fbzx-wii/scr /fbzx-wii/scr2 /fbzx-wii/configurations /apps/fbzx-wii
Put .z80 and .sna files in /fbzx-wii/snapshots or .tap and .tzx files in /fbzx-wii/tapes on your SD card or usb device.
The roms are in /fbzx-wii/spectrum-roms. Although Amstrad is the current proprietary of the copyright of the original ZX Spectrum ROMs, they have kindly given their permission for its redistribution with Spectrum emulators.
FBZX wii has 2 GUIs. One is accessible from the keyboard through the Function Keys (F1 for help) and one from the wiimote pressing the home button.
From the wiimote press 1 or A to select an item and 2 or B to come back to the previous menu. Press the "+" button to access the virtual keyboard which uses wiimote IR pointer or point the wiimote at the screen (it depends on the configuration).
The in-game menu allows you to insert tapes, load them and configure the display, joysticks etc. The easiest way to play a game is to load a snapshot (.z80 and .sna files).
You can also insert a tape file (.tap and .tzx) and then load the file in the tape menu (it simulates the command Load "").
The option instant load allows to load tape file in few seconds. For TZX files, if the emulator finds a custom loading routine which can not be managed by the "instant load", it starts the tape.
If the "instant load" does not work, try to disable the instant load option and enable "turbo auto mode" which speeds up the emulator during the loading.
A tape browser allows to select the section of file you want to load.
It is possible to set precision emulation required by some demo graphic programs. Turbo mode is disable in this mode. In precision emulation, some performance issues can arise; in this case try to switch to 320X240 resolution.
You can also load a file from a usb disk, from your PC via SMB and from Internet via FTP using a wi-fi connection. You should configure fbzx.net file and select the option in the tools menu. For SMB see the tinysmb page for additional information and troubleshooting .
You can bind all the keyboard buttons and joystick fire to the wiimote/nunchuck buttons and to the joypad.
Snapshots and scr files will be stored on the SD card or usb device.
The general preferences are saved (joystick type, machine, buttons bindings, etc.) from the main in-game menu and they are loaded on start-up.
You can also save the game preferences which can be automatically loaded with the tape/snapshot if the related option is set.
If you save the screen snapshots they will appear on the screen during the menu navigation.
If rumble is enabled, the wiimote rumbles each time the fire button is pressed
|Fire button (configurable)|
|Configurable for keypresses in the menu|
|Call Virtual Keyboard|
|Up, Down, Left, Right||Move up/down/left/right in the menu|
|Pgdown/Pgup||Move one page down/up in the menu|
|Enter||Select current entry|
|Esc||Exit from menu|
FBZX is highly configurable. Access the menu to configure the emulation and wiimote settings.
The menu support allows selecting which machine model to emulate.
Please report issues and feature requests in the fbzx-wii issue tracker on googlecode.
- Improved txz loading algorithm
- Fixed small bugs on return from turbo state
- Fixed bug in 128k sna format
- Fixed small bugs in z80 core
- Fixed bugs in tape emulation (Speedlock 4-7, Softlock and Powerload work now)
- Improved code and tape loading speed
- Tape browser
- TZX "select block" block
- TZX "jump to block" block
- TZX messages shown on the screen
- Instant load for TZX files too
- Improved instant load routine: most of TAP files can be instant loaded now
- Keys can be kept pressed in Virtual Keyboard
- QAOP joystick
- 16 bit sound
- Linear interpolation anti aliasing sound filter
- Removed crackling in menu change
- Mic bit emulation (Cobra's Arc speach works now)
- Option to have pause between blocks in instant load
- Option to disable tape rewind on reset
- Option to ignore joystick configuration of z80 files
- Tape stops on reset
- Fixed bug in emulation precision option saving
- Other minor fixings and improvements
- Virtual keyboard does not stop the emulation
- Support for installation on usb device
- Case insensitive file ordering
- The path in file browsing is remembered
- Changed layout in file selection menu
- Support for Wiiflow
- Option to disable Virtual keyboard rumble
- Screen snapshots visible on screen in file select menus
- Option to activate the virtual keyboard with the wiimote IR pointer
- Changed menu navigation rules (2 and B always come back to previuos menu)
- FTP and SMP connect also after start up
- Tape stops after machine selection change
- Fixed contention in normal mode emulation
- Fixed crackling in turbo auto mode
- Other minor bug fixes
- Added auto turbo mode
- Added graphical virtual keyboard using wii pointer
- Added B button as escape
- Fixed bug in file list management
- Added mdr and tape file creation menu
- Added poke menu
- Added poke file management
- Added zip support and archive browsing
- Added ftp client and browsing
- Support for ABC/BAC/ACB stereo
- Improved snow emulation
- Improved speed emulation
- Fixed bug in SNA format
- Fixed bug in AY-3-8912 emulation
- Added precision emulation setting (floating bus, contention, interrupt timing)
- Added NTSC 48K machine
- Added 320X240 framebuffer resolution
- New screen setting menu
- Added framerate setting
- In Joypad mode, the nunchuck works now
- New code for Y-3-8912 emulation
- Fixed RETN and RETI Z80 instructions
- Fixed Flag emulation for many Z80 opcodes: Speedlock loader works now. Only the Flag in Bit n, (HL) is not correctly emulated.
- Added arrows keys binding to joysticks
- Added game configuration management
- Changed general configuration management
- Added ultraspeed turbo mode
- Added ULA+ contention
- Fixed bug in sound and increased volume
- Fixed some bugs in Z80 emulation. Ant Attack works now
- Fixed some other small bugs
- Added smb support
- Added usb disk support
- Added joypad as joystick function
- Added saving of all configurations and buttons
- Improved virtual keyboard
- Fixed bug in sound emulation
- Fixed some other small bugs
- Initial release
FBZX Wii is GPLv3.
- Sergio Costas who did more most of the work!