Running GameCube homebrew on the Wii
This is a guide on how to run homebrew on your Wii, Gamecube style, using the actionreplay and software called 'SDLoad'. It's based on the guide here, at DCemu.co.uk.
Note: This only gets the Wii running in Gamecube mode and, pending further hacking, Wii functionality cannot be used. This will only work on non-european consoles.
What you need:
- An SD (Secure Digital) Card
- A 2GB Card will set you back around $10 (check meritline.com) but handy to have a card that big.
- An Action Replay kit for GameCube
- The Action Replay for Gamecube will set you back around $25, but as well as being the device needed to boot homebrew, it's also a Region Free Gamecube Boot Disc and Cheats Device, and well worth the cost.
- An SD card adapter for GameCube: Home Made, Nintendo Made or the Gecko (the best)
- SD card adapters are a bit harder to find but eBay is at the moment your best bet, buy the Gecko version if you can't find the Nintendo adapter.
- Lastly, a Nintendo Wii.
- USA, JAP or PAL Consoles are all compatible.
- The software, SDLoad (http://wii-news.dcemu.co.uk/sdload.zip).
- An old firmware as versions 3.0 and up will refuse to load the Action Replay disc.
Download SDLoad, and plug your SD card into your computer. Now you have to format the SD card to either FAT or FAT16 filesystems. After formatting, run sdpatch.exe on your card through the command line as follows:
sdpatch.exe (drive letter):/
Now copy SDLOADER.BIN to the root of the card. at this point you can load it up with emulators and what not as long as they are in .dol format. They can be in any directory as long as SDLOADER.BIN is in the root.
After you've gotten your SD card all ready, insert it into the SD card reader, and plug it into memory card slot A on the Wii. Put your Action Replay card into slot B, and the Action Replay disc into the disc reader.
When Action Replay boots, pick the USA flag, and then "ADD NEW GAME". "SDLOAD" is the game name you should use. Now push "Done". Now you have to enter the codes to allow SDLoad to operate. Firstly, the master code. Put its name as "(m)":
7YPR-RKZZ-MH6W5 D26A-PE4J-1XX2W ZJHY-B1ZH-6P00G
Now select "ADD NEW CODE" and name it "SDLOAD". Enter the following code:
AF4H-JPF5-H1B5J MVAB-7TQE-ABZPB V2CK-QQ1A-Y6P72 M5N6-CMMH-9EURT 0JFM-3A6C-VZ6VK KYV8-0JGV-0GR1N 2EGU-HVKF-NDMCN 7AH0-J9JZ-HHGNJ 4MHU-G8XT-ZRYCJ 9474-KF41-8KG34 QMEV-G90N-A8RV0 KD4G-5QHV-74D46 V97K-652Q-Y4TEY 6M4W-9GPT-E99NG QPFY-DJAF-E01FV 2Z6E-P2WY-24WV4 6NHW-G3NH-HP31Y A2KF-MCKN-D645J K5V8-EF9W-7GFQC XTU3-269T-VH5NE H9GP-C4PP-6FGF9 HF77-R45C-ZXPDV 22Y3-D98C-50AJM WTWZ-EC88-U5ZTV 36G1-UGDG-J2G84 DUMT-15KR-DXJ8K JV55-6VF5-2Z02T D4R8-MVJ5-QGR21 1G3C-APD7-1CUVD
Select the "SDLOAD" code and check the box next to it. Press start and Open and close the lid of disc drive when prompted. Then SDLOAD starts up and you can take it from there!