devkitPPC is a port of the GNU Compiler Collection (GCC) and includes a C (gcc) and C++ compiler (g++), a debugger (gdb) and associated utilities, with the architecture "powerpc-eabi". It also includes standard C libraries based on newlib, which is specifically designed for embedded systems. Compilers and libraries are also included for the MN10200, the Matsushita (Panasonic) chip used in the Wii DVD controller. It is designed to be used in conjunction with libogc, a collection of Wii-specific low-level libraries.
Automated install scripts for Linux can be found at DevkitPPC.sh and DevkitProLinuxInstall. These are 3rd party installers and are not supported by the devkitPRO team. So don't complain to them if they break something.
For Windows users it comes with the MSYS environment, which is a minimal set of GNU tools such as a shell.
The following libraries are available for download from devkitPro SourceForge, precompiled for use with devkitPPC. Simply place them in the appropriate devkitPPC portlibs folder (on Windows this is c:\devkitPro\portlibs\ppc).
- Expat - XML parser library
- FreeType - TTF/Type1 font support
- libjpeg - JPEG support library
- libpng - PNG support library
- Mini-XML - XML library
- libtremor - An integer-only fully Vorbis compliant software decoder library
- zlib - ZIP compression/decompression library
The following tools are included as well:
- doltool - a tool for converting to and from .dol executable files and examining their contents
- gcdspsuite - an assembler for the gamecube DSP chip written by duddie.
- wiiload - a utility for uploading code to the wii written by Dhewg.
- gxtexconv - a utility for texture conversion written by Shagkur.