|This application has been made redundant by MPlayer CE. MPlayer CE has the same features as this application plus more, or with more bug fixes. This application should only be used if there is a special reason to (e.g. if MPlayer CE is unstable or has more requirements).|
MFE-Wii is an MPlayer Front-End for the Wii, using Wii-Linux 8/4/2008. MFE-Wii provides a front-end controlled by a Gamecube control pad and allows you to play media files directly from the SD Card on your Wii.
|Wii MFE Port|
|Downloadable via the Homebrew Browser|
This project is based on the MFE opensource media player for gc-linux. You can find the original sources on its sourceforge page:
This version uses the same sources than the original, there are only some changes on the kernel and the filesystem to adapt it to wii. It uses wii-linux to run on a wii, and the SDL libraries for this system. It will boot using the ARAM filesystem method.
What you need
To get MFE-Wii working on your Wii, you will need the following equipment;
- A Wii Console able to run Homebrew Code (A Wii Console with Zelda: Twilight Princes and the Twilight Hack Save Game loaded onto your Wii).
- An SD Card
- A Gamecube control pad.
- The MFE-Wii Binaries (mfe-wii.elf).
- Copy the file mfe-wii.elf and the directory mfe to the root directory of your SD Card.
- Rename the .ELF file to boot.elf .
- If you're using the Homebrew Channel, place the boot.elf file in its own folder within the 'apps' folder.
- Copy your .avi files that you want to play to your SD Card.
- Load your SD Card into the front slot of your Wii.
- Ensure that your Gamecube Controller is plugged in.
- Start your Wii and use your Homebrew Loader (Be it Twilight Hack, Homebrew Channel or other).
- Launch the .ELF file and select the Media Files you would like to play.
Here is the button relation between the gc-pad and the keyboard:
[digital pad]: Navigate through your filesystem, forward and backward
[A]: Launch a file (play)
- Network share access
- USB-storage support
- Disable WiiConnect24 before running this
- No support for Wavebird controller
- The gc-linux team for their effort in porting linux to the Wii.
- Isobel, for his great MFE player minidistro.