Wii MFE Port
MFE-Wii is an MPlayer Front-End for the Wii, using Wii-Linux 8/4/2008. MFE-Wii provides a front-end controlled by a Gamecube control pad and allows you to play media files directly from the SD Card on your Wii.
This project is based on the MFE opensource media player for gc-linux. You can find the original sources on its sourceforge page:
This version uses the same sources than the original, there are only some changes on the kernel and the filesystem to adapt it to wii. It uses wii-linux to run on a wii, and the SDL libraries for this system. It will boot using the ARAM filesystem method.
What you need
To get MFE-Wii working on your Wii, you will need the following equipment;
- Preload your SD Card with a working copy of Front SD Elf Loader.
- Copy the file mfe-wii.elf and the directory mfe to the root of your SD Card.
- Copy your .avi files that you want to play to your SD Card.
- Load your SD Card into the front slot of your Wii.
- Ensure that your Gamecube Controller is plugged in.
- Start your Wii and load into your Homebrew Loader.
- Launch mfe-wii.elf and select the Media Files you would like to play (note that up and down are revered in menu navigation).
Here is the button relation between the gc-pad and the keyboard:
[digital pad]: Navigate through your filesystem, forward and backward [A]: Launch a file (play) [B]: Stop
- The gc-linux team for their effort in porting linux to the Wii.
- Isobel, for his great MFE player minidistro.