| This article is in the process of translating from English to Spanish.
Please help translate this article if you can.
These are some currently popular questions in the #wiibrew channel. Remember to read the Channel FAQ before you jump in.
- 1 General
- 1.1 Are we using the SDK? Is there an SDK from Nintendo for Wii development? Is it leaked?
- 1.2 Are there any homebrew applications available for the Wii?
- 1.3 Will a Wii System Update brick my hacked Wii?
- 1.4 How do I turn off my Wii if the application does not support the power button/hangs?
- 1.5 What if the next Wii update patches the Twilight Hack?
- 1.6 What if the next Wii update patches the trucha bug?
- 2 Wii Hacking
- 2.1 What's happening now?
- 2.2 The Fish Disc looks really promising
- 2.3 How can I boot homebrew on my Wii?
- 2.4 What new features are you planning for the next release?
- 2.5 How did this happen?
- 2.6 Can I use the Wii Remote in the homebrew applications?
- 2.7 When will I be able to use the Wii's built-in front loading SD slot?
- 2.8 Can I use GameCube homebrew on the Wii with a loader?
- 3 Twilight Hack
- 4 Homebrew channel
Are we using the SDK? Is there an SDK from Nintendo for Wii development? Is it leaked?
Are there any homebrew applications available for the Wii?
Many applications are available at the Homebrew apps page.
Will a Wii System Update brick my hacked Wii?
Probably not, however, you must be careful what hacked programs you run on your Wii as the programs themselves are capable of bricking your Wii.
Hold the power button for 5 seconds until the Wii powers down.
What if the next Wii update patches the Twilight Hack?
The System Menu 3.3 Update has patched this bug by deleting the corrupt savegames on startup, but the latest release of the Twilight Hack works around it.
The only way to patch Twilight Hack would be to press new discs or have the system patch the game upon loading it. The likelihood of the former depends on whether or not they intend to keep fixing bugs anyway -- this hack is probably not enough reason for them to restart production of the discs. (That having been said, there are already two different NTSC/US versions of that game, so a third could be released.)
Patching the game while loading is unlikely for a number of boring reasons. It's a lot of work with very little benefit -- until homebrew activities threaten Nintendo's revenue, don't expect them to expend serious effort to stop it.
What if the next Wii update patches the trucha bug?
The System Menu 3.3 Update has already patched this bug.
The only way to stop it would be to make sure the Wii menu doesn't update itself. This would require a custom firmware update. A custom firmware update is risky at best to develop, as one mistake could brick your Wii.
What's happening now?
A lot of people are working on fancy Wii homebrew. Lots of work remains to be done.
- Building a working toolchain environment
- Making a working low-level library to access hardware (CPU/GPU/controllers/USB/Framebuffers and debugging)
- Documenting memory maps
- Discovering usage of registers for (Audio Interface, Serial Interface, Memory Interface, Video Interface)
- Triggering and setting up interrupt handling
- Working on a stable Initial Program Loader
- Reverse engineering IOS and other binary files
The Fish Disc looks really promising
The Fish Disc is able to transfer the bare essentials (savegames, preferences) of one Wii to another. It also allows all personal data to be erased, much like the "Format System Memory" option.
How can I boot homebrew on my Wii?
See the Twilight Hack.
What new features are you planning for the next release?
Hopefully, source code.
How did this happen?
The "tweezer" attack was originally used to access the restricted parts of the RAM. This allowed them to access/discover an exploit (as used in the original video)
There are a lot of keys, encryption methods, protection and systems in place. Most of these are not public.
Can I use the Wii Remote in the homebrew applications?
When will I be able to use the Wii's built-in front loading SD slot?
As of alpha3a of the Twilight Hack you can use a FAT16 formatted SD card in the front SD slot. Experimental FAT32 support is added in alpha3b.
This, however, does not mean all applications support it. Most emulators however, allow you to access the Wii's front SD slot.
Can I use GameCube homebrew on the Wii with a loader?
No, you can't.
How does the Twilight Hack work?
An exploit has been found in the Wii game "The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess". Once used it launches custom code. It is similar to the GTA PSP Exploit.
How do I use the Twilight Hack?
The Twilight Hack page has everything you need to know on how to use the exploit.
Is the Twilight Hack affected by the latest update?
Although the hack itself may not be, the June 16th update will check for and, if found, delete the Twilight Hack save game and refuse to recopy it onto the Wii. A newer version of the Twilight Hack was made to defeat this check.
Where can I get the homebrew channel?
Does the homebrew channel do "X"?
Check on the page.
Can I request a feature for the homebrew channel?
Sure, but the devs may not like your idea. Requests can be made on the Homebrew Channel/Ideas page. Besides, they might already have decided if and when to implement "X".