This article lists every major Linux distribution available for the Nintendo Wii.
WiiToo! is a minimal precompiled stage4 made to let you run Gentoo on your Wii using [♦♠http://www.gc-linux.org/wiki/MINI:KernelPreviewFour MIKE] and Mini. It provides all the basic software required to compile and install new programs on it, and some other software ready to be used. The kernel used is plain vanilla-sources & Wii-Linux patches, so expect WiFi working out of the box.
- Ready to use, uncompress, copy, configure and run
- Highly configurable, like Gentoo
- USB keyboard isn't a requirement, simply configure your network and use SSH
- Can use all the hardware that Wii-Linux is able to use
- Last update: 29 October 2009
- Based on Debian Lenny 5.0
- Major update with many new apps and features
- Wifi Support when running with MikeP4
- DVD Support when running with MikeP5
- Easy wifi config tool (in /home/wii/)
- Version 1.10 (Debian Lenny 5.0) Download
- Version 0.1 (Debian Etch 4.0) Download
- Last updated: 21 Oct 2009
- Now exists again.
- Designed to be a full distribution for noobs
- Will be released soon, with Miight 2.0 following some time in the future
- It can be installed normally like any other homebrew app (no partitioning needed), and includes many more features. Including the following:
- An easy way to switch between TV types (although it does require a restart)
- The ability to install a disk image directly onto a normal partition on an SD card or USB flash drive, meaning absolutely no partitioning or anything (hopefully).
- Many, many more apps
- An easy-to-use media mounter
- Contributions from many users
- A pretty screensaver
- Probably a lot more that I forgot to list
- It was momentarily leaked but it was soon, for lack of a better term, unleaked.
- After it is released, bertjan has said he will abandon his own distribution and contribute to this one instead.
- First public beta version is hopefully going to be released in the end of January
- Miight 2.0 will be released after the 1.0 and will be a complete rewrite
- For progress updates, see http://hbcapps.com/miight/blog. For older posts see http://tehum.blogspot.com, a blog I shared with someone else when I couldn't be bothered to get my own.
- Made by Muzer
- Arch Linux PPC for the Wii
- Designed for use with the new MIKE p1 kernel but can be made to work with Boot it or any other kernel release.
- Made By TheStorm/JonimusPrime and zc00gii
- Is designed for more advanced users to create from scratch but minimal and X11 file-system tars are available
- The X11 tar has X.Org installed along with the OpenBox3 WM and Cwiid for Wiimote input
- It also includes the Opera Browser, X-Chat IRC client and Pidgin IM client
- The Minimal image is just enough to get you booted and the end user can install any packages they wish using pacman
- File-system tars can be found here
- Last updated: 11 July 2009
- A full Gentoo distribution for the Wii.
- It uses the whiite method of installation.
- Made by T7g
- [tehskeen.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9848 Download/Discussion]
- Last updated: 8 December 2008
- Whiite but with the X.Org environment successfully implemented.
- It currently uses kernel 2.6.27b.
- It also includes some applications including Firefox.
- It uses the whiite method of installation
- It has now been updated to v0.2
- Made by bertjan
- [tehskeen.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9777 Download/Discussion]
- Last updated: 02 December 2008
These are small, stand-alone distributions that were merely to demonstrate that Linux could run on the Wii. These distributions are very limited in functionality and are not recommended. Instead, use one of the above distributions (XWhiite, Bliight are recommended).
Proof of Concept 0.4
Proof of Concept 0.3
- Adds read and write support for the front SD card slot.