Works very well as far as i can tell. if the hand icon vanishes the cursor is still active so you can zoom etc, to get it back just point off for a second. Warpedflash 22:36, 12 August 2008 (CEST)
"Is this even legal?"
Just a quick heads-up: According to Google, it's not. Their TOS do not allow "derivative works of the imagery, in whole or in part". An application similar in function, Mobile GMaps (MGMaps), has been asked by Google to remove Google Maps support for that exact reason. Read the full story here. Drmr 00:23, 13 August 2008 (CEST)
- they released the google maps api which basically does the same thing but in a normal browser for anyone to use so i imagine its ok.
Program itself and its code is amazing. Thank You!
- Thanks from me here too, awesome program!
This works a lot better than I expected it would. Just leaving this here because it's the least I can do to thank you for coding this. I use Google Earth a LOT on my PC and iPhone, and now to have it on my Wii is only the next greatest thing! We owe you guys big!
"Is no longer available" :/
Love this app!
Works a lot better than I thought it would. I was able to zoom right in to my house (although the google maps seem a little old as my garden looks as it did about 10 years ago lol)
I tried a few random areas on the map and they don't all seem to zoom in and support the high detailed version of the images?
In the future would you able to incorporate some sort of gui? ...also having the ability to put post/zip codes in as a search option would be great.
Thanks for the release!--Baboon 16:12, 27 January 2009 (UTC) Baboon
I think this app is great. Thank you! Much slicker than v1
- Have you thought about swapping the function of the A and B buttons. Pressing the B button on the wiimote is more like a grabbing action so that would work well for grabbing the map. I changed the 3 characters world.c needed to do this and rebuilt it - I think it's a worthwhile tweak.
- Search functionality would be great, but I imagine this is either impossible given the servers you're working with, or at least difficult.
- Adding an indication of the current zoom level would be nice, if you zoom in too much it just goes black and you're not sure if it's loading, or if you just gone too far (Live Hybrid Map).
- Adding a progress bar would also help with this.
- I like the clutter free view though, so it would be good to be able to turn any GUI off.
- It would be great to able to save favourite locations, which could be loaded back up again, but again I imagine this is a tonne of work!
- These are just some thoughts, the app is great as it is - thanks! --Wilsoff 23:44, 30 January 2009 (UTC)
This is a GREAT homebrew application! I love the grab-n-drag capability.
A few ideas...
- Search Function w/ Keyboard Compatibility (hidden slide-out panel)
- Animated Radar Layer (this is my #1 request!)
- Favorites Panel (hidden slide-out panel)
Keep up the great work! I can't wait to see the next version!
Thanks for all the great feedback! If there is a next version it will probably have reversed A & B functionality and some zoom indication. Don't get your hopes up for search and favorites though. I intend on keeping it nothing more then just a fun toy (unless anybody wants to code it themselves :) ). Paulwagener 20:56, 3 February 2009 (UTC)
Hey, Paulwagener... What about an animated Radar Layer? Any plans for that?
I was thinking something like the one through The Weather Channel HERE.
Are the controls still accurate now that you switched A and B in v2? - InfernoZeus 03:54, 21 March 2009 (UTC)
- The controls should be as accurate as they were in 2.0, just reversed for a more intuitive experience.Paulwagener 12:46, 21 March 2009 (UTC)
- I mean on the main WiiEarth page, it says that A is still 'grab map'. Isn't that B now? EDIT: Just saw that it was switched by Wilsoff - InfernoZeus 16:41, 21 March 2009 (UTC)
Use legal maps
There are free maps available. If you've ever used Marble (a KDE4 Earth Viewer), you might want to look into their source code and find a way to use OpenStreetMaps and NASA satellite images. --Clorox who vectored some rasters 03:23, 12 June 2009 (UTC)
Crashing after extended use
Does anyone else have the problem where the app crashes (exits) after using it for a while? Charlatan 19:42, 17 June 2009 (UTC)