SNES9x GX is a Super Nintendo emulator for the Wii based on the PC emulator SNES9x 1.51. SoftDev is responsible for the original SNES9x 1.51 GameCube port, whose work was continued by crunchy2. Wii support was added by michniewski, and SNES9x 1.51 was ported by Tantric with help from eke-eke. The project is currently being maintained by michniewski and Tantric.
- 1 Features
- 2 Setup & Installation
- 3 ROMS, Preferences, Saves, and Cheats
- 4 Official Release Thread/Support Forum
- 5 Controls
- 6 History
- 7 Third party releases
- Based on Snes9x 1.51 - superior ROM compatibility
- Wiimote, Nunchuk, Classic, and Gamecube controller support
- SNES Superscope, Mouse, Justifier support
- Cheat support
- Auto Load/Save Game Snapshots and SRAM
- Custom controller configurations
- SD, USB, DVD, SMB, GC Memory Card, and Zip ROM support
- Autodetect PAL/NTSC, 16:9 widescreen support, filtered/unfiltered video modes
- Turbo Mode - up to 2x the normal speed
- Zoom option to zoom in/out
- Open Source!
Setup & Installation
Unzip the archive. You will find the following folders inside:
- apps - Contains Homebrew Channel ready files (see Homebrew Channel instructions below)
- executables - Contains Gamecube / Wii DOL files (for loading from other methods)
- snes9x - Contains the directory structure required for storing roms, saves, and cheats (see below)
Via Homebrew Channel
The most popular method of running homebrew on the Wii is through the Homebrew Channel. If you already have the channel installed, just copy over the apps folder included in the archive into the root of your SD card.
Remember to also create the snes9x directory structure required. See above.
ROMS, Preferences, Saves, and Cheats
By default, roms are loaded from "snes9x/roms/", saves and preferences are stored in "snes9x/saves/", and cheats are loaded from "/snes9x/cheats/".
Your SNES rom images must be in the Super Magicom (SMC) or FIG format. Generally, all images you find will be in this format, but if you run across one that isn't please download RTOOL which will allow you to convert the image into SMC format. Cheats must be placed in the cheats folder and named identically to the ROM name, except with a CHT extension.
On the Wii, you can load roms from SD card (Front SD or SD Gecko), USB, DVD, or SMB share. Note that if you are using the Homebrew Channel, to load from USB, DVD, or SMB you will first have to load Snes9xGx from SD, and then set your load method preference. To load roms from a Windows network share (SMB) you will have to edit snes9xGX.xml on your SD card with your network settings, or edit s9xconfig.cpp from the source code and compile. If you edit and compile the source, you can use wiiload and the Homebrew Channel to load and play Snes9xGx completely over the network, without needing an SD card.
Official Release Thread/Support Forum
|?||/||/ or||/ or or||Navigate line per line Up/Down|
|?||Enter to the selected menu or change selected option|
|?||Back to previous menu|
In File explorer
|?||/||/ or or||/ or||Navigate line per line Up/Down|
|?||/||/ or||/||Jump to the Last/First file or directory|
|?||Select item (directory or file)|
|?||Back to previous directory|
|+++ or Left||Emulator menu|
In game (by default)
The controls can be changed in "Controller Configuration" menu.
|+++ or Left||Emulator menu|
What's New 005
- added: Superscope/mouse/justifier support, with Wii remote
- added: 3 render modes - Original, Filtered, Unfiltered
- added: widescreen compensation option
- added: DVD support on the Wii
- changed: zoom - limited range, added reset zoom option
- added: now uses SNES 1.51 core (thanks to eke-eke for help with this)
- added: cheats menu! Loads .CHT file from /snes9x/cheats folder, .CHT file name must match file name of ROM
- added: load/save preference selector. ROM, SRAM, Freeze, and preferences are saved/loaded according to these
- added: preliminary Windows file share loading/saving (SMB) support on Wii: You can input your network settings into snes9xGX.xml, or edit s9xconfig.cpp from the source code and compile.
- added: 'Auto' settings for save/load - attempts to automatically determine your load/save device(s) - SD, USB, Memory Card, DVD, SMB
- added: ROM Information page
- added: Game Menu - all game-specific options are here now: SRAM save/load, Snapshot save/load, game reload, etc
- added: Credits page
- fixed: sd gecko works now
- fixed: full USB support
- changed: menu structure
- changed: preferences are now loaded and saved in XML format. You can open snes9xGX.xml edit all settings, including some not available within the program
- changed: if Home button is pressed when a game is running, Game Menu pops up
- changed: if preferences can't be loaded at the start and/or are reset, preferences menu pops up - remove to save your preferences!
- changed: SRAM load - game reloaded automatically after loading SRAM
What Was New 004
- added: option to disable AA filtering (snes graphics 'crisper', AA now default OFF)
- added: mapped zooming and turbo mode to classic controller
- added: preliminary usb support (loading)
- changed: sram and freezes now saved by filename, not internal romname. If you have multiple versions of the same game, you can now have srams and freezes for each version. A prompt to convert to the new naming is provided for sram only.
- changed: by default, autoload/save sram and freeze enabled
What Was New 003
- added: alphabetical file sorting
- added: background logo/backdrop + nicer menus
- added: scrolling in ROM selector
- fixed: switching between pal/ntsc ROMS doesn't mess up timings
- fixed: GC controller config works now
- fixed: freeze autoloading on ROM load
- fixed: zipped ROMS should now load in a reasonable time
- fixed: precompiled dols for autosaving to various locations (see readme)
- changed: GC default quickload slot (to sd) (thanks kerframil)
- changed: default load/save dirs are now "/snes9x/roms" and "/snes9x/saves/" (thanks kerframil)
- changed: Classic X and Y defaults aren't switched
- changed: if autosave is enabled, it doesn't ask to save SRAM anymore. It is saved in the background.
- updated README
What Was New 002
- added: classic and nunchuk support
- added: all controllers can now be configured
- added: GC version (untested)
- changed: mappings are no longer stored in SRAM, but in config file. This means no per-game configurations, but one global config per controller.
- one makefile to make all versions. (thanks to snes9x143 SVN)
What Was New 001
- compiles with latest devkitppc (r15)
- now uses libfat (can use front sd slot on wii)
- updated menu items a bit
- wiimote support
- fixed: autoload sram/freeze
- fixed: rom plays immediately after loading
Third party releases
Unofficial version with more archive format support
Supports the following formats in addition to ZIP:
- gzip (.gz, .tar.gz)
- bzip2 (.bz2, .tar.bz2)
- JMA (similar to 7zip, but with better compression)
Download with source: http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Image:SNES9xGX_Archive_Edition.tar.bz2
Based on version 004.