The Twilight Hack is currently the only safe, public way to enable homebrew on an unmodded Wii. The Twilight Hack is achieved by playing a hacked game save for The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess which executes a homebrew application from an external SD card.
Inside the zip file you will find versions of the hack for all three regions. You may copy all of them to your SD card, but you will need to choose the correct one to copy to your Wii based on your version of Zelda: Twilight Princess. USA users, additionally, need to determine the correct save slot to load once inside Twilight Princess. The easiest way to check your version is to compare the text string which is on the inner circle of the data surface with the ones below.
|Region||Inner circle text||File||Save slot|
|Europe/Australia (EUR)||RVL-RZDP-0A-0 JPN||/private/wii/title/rzdp/data.bin||Twilight Hack|
|Asia (JPN)||RVL-RZDJ-0A-0 JPN||/private/wii/title/rzdj/data.bin||Twilight Hack|
|America (USA)||RVL-RZDE-0A-0 JPN||/private/wii/title/rzde/data.bin||TwilightHack0|
|America (USA)||RVL-RZDE-0A-0 USA||/private/wii/title/rzde/data.bin||TwilightHack0|
|America (USA)||RVL-RZDE-0A-2 USA||/private/wii/title/rzde/data.bin||TwilightHack2|
The Homebrew Channel is a self-updating homebrew application loader by Team Twiizers which allows users to load homebrew applications without having to run the Twilight Hack every time. Once installed, users can access the channel from the Wii Menu just like any other Wii channel.
- SD card (you may want to format the card to ensure a consistent filesystem)
- SD card reader
- The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess that has been played at least once
- Twilight Hack
- Homebrew Channel
Step by Step
- Begin by formatting your SD card to FAT16 if it is not already (in Windows it's just called "FAT"). FAT32 should also work in the latest release.
- If you get an error such as "Failed to read boot.elf (-1)!" then reformatting your SD card with the Official SD Card Format Tool may help.
- Copy the "private" directory from the download to your SD card.
- Download the Homebrew Channel, extract it, and save 'boot.dol' in the root directory of your SD card.
- Now, put the SD card into your Wii and turn it on.
- Go into Wii Options --> Data Management --> Save Data --> Wii.
- Find your Zelda save, click on it, click "Erase", and click Yes (you may want to backup your save before doing that...).
- Open the SD card and select the "Twilight Hack" save that corresponds to your game region.
- Click copy and then yes. Now exit out of the menu.
- Insert The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess game disc and run the game.
- If you have the USA version of the game, load the "TwilightHack0" or "TwilightHack2" version of the game as appropriate (see above).
- Otherwise, load the only "Twilight Hack" save game.
- Once in the game, either walk backwards or talk to the man standing in front of you.
- The Homebrew Channel installer should now load.
- READ THE DISCLAIMER! In the VERY unlikely case your Wii should be bricked by the installer, this will let you know where you stand in regards to Team Twiizers.
- Press the RESET button on your Wii.