FCE Ultra GX
A NES emulator for the Wii based on the PC emulator FCE Ultra v0.98.12.
- 1 Features
- 2 Introduction
- 3 Installation
- 4 Loading Games
- 5 Network support
- 6 Support
- 7 Controls
- 8 Changelog
- 9 Other versions
- Wiimote, Nunchuk, Classic, and Gamecube controller support
- iNES, FDS, VS, UNIF, and NSF ROM support
- 1-4 Player Support
- Custom controller configurations
- SD, USB, DVD, SMB, GC Memory Card, Zip, and 7z support
- NES Compatibility Based on v0.98.12
- Sound Filters
- Graphics Filters (GX Chipset, Cheesy and 2x)
- NES Zapper support
FCE Ultra GX is a modified port of the FCE Ultra 0.98.12 Nintendo Entertainment system for x86 (Windows/Linux) PC's. With it you can play NES games on your Wii/GameCube. Version 2 is a complete rewrite based on code from SNES9x GX.
- If you are using the Homebrew Channel just copy the apps directory from the archive to the root of your SD card. If you are using another loader use the executables/fceugx_wii.dol.
- ROMs & saves files should be stored in fceugx/roms and fceugx/saves on the root of you SD card, USB flash drive, or SMB share. You can copy the fceugx directory from the archive to your support drive.
- Launch the emulator using your Loader.
- ROMs can be burned to a DVD-/+R (4.7GB max size & ISO 9660 file format) but you need to install the DVDx on your Wii. More infos on HackMii.
- To load roms from a Windows network share (SMB) you will have to edit FCEUGX.xml on your SD card with your network settings, or edit fceuconfig.cpp from the source code and compile.
Using SMB support currently requires that you provide a username and password to log in to the file server (in FCEUGX.xml.) This username must contain a workgroup name or else logins will not be possible. You can use a bogus workgroup, but some functions may perform better if the workgroups match between client and server. Here's an example snippet for your XML configuration file:
<section name="Network" description="Network Settings"> <setting name="smbip" value="192.168.4.19" description="Share Computer IP" /> <setting name="smbshare" value="wiifiles" description="Share Name" /> <setting name="smbuser" value="WORKGROUP\wii" description="Share Username" /> <setting name="smbpwd" value="yourPassword" description="Share Password" /> </section>
To be able to load FDS games, FCE UlraGX need the FDS BIOS. Put it in your roms folder, and name it disksys.rom (should be 8 KB in size).
You can switch disks using the A button (by default). The mapped button can be changed under Controller Configuration ('Special' button).
Compatibility is limited, so check that the game in question works on FCE Ultra 0.98.12 for Windows before asking for help.
Official Release Thread/Support Forum @ TehSkeen
|or||/||/ or or||or||Items selection|
|Select a menu item|
|/ or||/||/ or or||/||Down/Up one full page|
|/ or||/||/ or or||/ or||Select previous/next file|
|or Left||Quit the file selection menu|
|Up one directory|
|Load the selected file or enter the selected directory|
In Game (by default)
The controls can be changed in "Controller Configuration" menu. You can disable the crossair on "Controller Configuration" menu.
|or||or||or||Dpad of the NES|
|or||or||Zapper trigger button|
|insert coin button (VS game).|
|+ or Left||Emulator Menu|
2.0.4 - October 15, 2008
- Wii DVD fixed
- FDS BIOS loading works now
- FDS disk switching now consistently works with one button press
- FDS saving implemented
- 7z support
- Faster SD/USB (readahead cache enabled)
- VS coin now mapped to 1 button for VS zapper games
- Changed GC controller mappings - Select - Z, Start - Start, Home - Start+A, Special - L
2.0.3 - October 1, 2008
- Complete rewrite of loading code - FDS / UNIF / NSF support added!
- VS games work (coin insert submitted by pakitovic)
- Mapping of 'Special' commands - VS coin insert, FDS switch disk (default A)
- 480p and DVD now available for GameCube
- Improved stability - less crashes!
2.0.2 - September 19, 2008
- Fixed network freeze-up problem
- Zapper now mapped to A and B
- Fixed auto-save feature
- Performance slowdowns on Gamecube should be fixed
- Will now attempt to load old save states with CRC filename
2.0.1 - September 6, 2008
- Zapper support! Turn this on in the Controller Settings - most games require you to have the Zapper on Port 2. Thanks go to aksommerville whose previous work on the Zapper helped, and michniewski's cursor code
- RAM game save support! Now you can save your games just like the NES did. By default game saves are saved/loaded automatically. This can be changed in the Preferences menu
- Start/Select reversed mapping fixed for Wii controllers
- Small bug fixes / improvements / tweaks
2.0.0 - September 1, 2008
- Complete rewrite based on code from SNES9x GX and Genesis Plus GX
- Wiimote, Nunchuk, and Classic controller support
- Button mapping for all controller types
- Full support for SD, USB, DVD, GC Memory Card, and Zip files
- Game starts immediately after loading
- Load/save preference selector. ROMs, saves, and preferences are saved/loaded according to these
- Preliminary Windows file share loading/saving (SMB) support on Wii: You can input your network settings into FCEUGX.xml, or edit fceuconfig.cpp from the source code and compile.
- 'Auto' settings for save/load - attempts to automatically determine your load/save device(s) - SD, USB, Memory Card, DVD, SMB
- Preferences are loaded and saved in XML format. You can open FCEUGX.xml edit all settings, including some not available within the program
- One makefile to make all versions
Took Vicious1988's version, gutted the menu, and tweaked all around. Now load from any directory on SD file. SRAM saves are automatic. Take screenshots to PNG format. Works with GameCube pads and Wiimotes. Long file names for ROMs are not supported natively.
New version with nicer menu, classic controller + nunchuk, use IR as zapper, new scaler (but not as nice as GX...), sort of half-way complete:
Mike Tyson's Jungle Beat
Each bongo has a top and a bottom button. These naturally correspond to high and low punch. To dodge, clap. To use your star punch (or to "Press Start"), hit both top buttons. To block, hold the start button on the bongos.
Download mtjb.zip to get started! mtjb.diff is the patch from the SVN trunk as of today (June 27, 2008). The hack is pretty straightforward, so it's not very large. InjectorSrc.zip is the source code for the injector program, in case someone wanted to compile a Mac version or something.