Dolphin is a Wii and GameCube emulator. It runs Wii and GameCube software (Games) on a PC (Windows, Linux, Mac). As of June 2008 Dolphin's source was released under the GPLv2 license and is under active development.
Dolphin SVN R 2984-release
The Dolphin website provides 'unofficial' builds, but they are out of date and often aren't available. It is recommended to compile from source. Follow the instructions to build under Windows, Linux or MacOSX.
Dolphin is useful to Wii homebrew as it allows developers to test code on a PC before running it on the Wii. However, Dolphin does not support all the features of the Wii and some problems may be experienced running homebrew.
- Run Dolphin. If you compiled Dolphin, run the appropriate executable located within Binary\Platform directory, where Platform is win32, linux, etc.
- Setup the plugins. From the menu, Options -> Configure. Select the Plugins tab
- Set Graphics to a Dolphin graphics plugin. Select 'Dolphin Direct3D9' if on windows and unsure. ( Note : Dolphin OpenGL is strongly advised )
- Set DSP to a Dolphin DSP plugin. Select 'Dolphin DSP-HLE' if on windows and unsure.
- Set Pad to a Dolphin pad plugin. Select 'Dolphin KB/X360pad' if on windows and unsure.
- Set Wiimote to a Dolphin wiimote plugin. Select 'Dolphin Wiimote' if on windows and unsure.
- Run your homebrew. From the menu, File -> Open.... Select the Devkitpro compiled .elf or .dol file. If successful, a new window will be displayed with the output.
The following was tested with "gamecube-examples-20081206, Windows XP (32bit), DevkitPro r16, libogc 1.7.1a, Dolphin R2812".
|examples neheGx\Lesson1-5||Works correctly.|
|examples template||Fails. Only a blank screen is displayed and no hello world text.|
|examples gxSprites||Fails. Only a blank screen is displayed|