This is great, i`ve been really waiting for this to come. just one question, where do i put my .pak0 and .pak1? JussiPik 17:34, 18 May 2009 (UTC)
- Yes, I think I forgot to mention that :) . Just place the "baseq2" folder from your current game into the root of your SD card. That's all it's needed. Placed a note about it in the page. Sorry :) Izhido 7:58, 19 May 2009 (UTC-6) —Preceding undated comment added 13:59, 19 May 2009 (UTC).
Quake 2 Engine Enhancements
Looking for an even bigger challenge? Pick the best of these Quake 2 Engine Derivatives to port over to the Wii, thus providing even better graphics for Quake 2.
Or even port "CodeRED: Alien Arena" and "War$oW" (both Q2 engine) to the Wii! I'd be glad to see any of this (including vanilla Q2) finished. Keep it up :)) Stroganoff 23:27, 18 May 2009 (UTC)
Best Engines for Quake II
For general gameplay, wouldn't the R1Q2 engine be better to use than the standard engine? For best graphics, I recommend the KMQuake II engine. Nintendo Maniac 64 01:18, 10 October 2009 (UTC)
I agree with the above
I also think that porting R1Q2 would be the sheeznattle, 'cause then I could play the Vortex mod. Great work though, man. Best homebrew app since Mario War, in my humble opinion. Playing coop games between my PC and my Wii (Or any console) has been something I've been waiting to do for a long time. Thanks again!--KenithCanule 21:09, 17 December 2009 (UTC)
- You won't be able to play Vortex (I'm part of the Vortex programming team) even with R1. R1Q2 uses the anticheat DLL module for whom the source has not been released (for obvious reasons). There'd be no way for the engine to load the AntiCheat module. You'd have to find a way to get exempted from AntiCheat by emailing GHz and telling him your situation. Paril 11:14, 29 December 2009 (UTC)
Will you be making one? Beegee7730 10:29, 19 May 2009 (UTC)
- Hmm... I'm not really sure about this. First, and foremost, I actually do *not* like Quake 3 Arena, mainly because of the changes in its underlying theme (though I *do* like Quake 4). Second, I've already met unexpected memory constraints while working on this particular port; I'm not really sure Q3A would be actually slimmer or lighter than Q2... I'm starting to fear 24MB + 52MB might not be enough RAM for it :( Anyway, the truth is, only time will tell. Izhido 8:06, 19 May 2009 (UTC-6) —Preceding undated comment added 14:08 19 May 2009 (UTC).
- If anything Nexuiz or Tremulous would be better imo. They were Q3A mods, now independent games. Risugami 14:19, 19 May 2009 (UTC)
Removal of proof-of-concept release
I'm awfully sorry to inform that the proof-of-concept release has been removed. It proved to be too buggy for my (and most probably other people's) tastes. Thanks for your kind comments on this. Full work on porting is in progress.Izhido 21:12, 21 May 2009 (UTC)
Any updated information for us? I cannot wait for a release of this project. I don't have any coding/graphical skills to offer, but would be willing to beta test any project releases. Eddie Brock 19:34, 4 June 2009 (UTC)
Anyway to add?
this is nice work but is there any way to like keybine or set it up where ya don't always have to press the A button to go into mouse view?--Trigger ftu 17:46, 10 December 2009 (UTC)
What I mean by this is that they are highly inconvenient. It's... a bit hard to explain, really. But take a look at Quake 1 for the wii (I think its Quake GX or something). If you made the controls for Quake 2 like Quake GX's controls, this would be the best wiiware program available.--Namo 21:43, 10 December 2009 (UTC)
- Yes, Wiimote freeloock is not that "freelook". I mean, if you think about every Wii FPS, included QuakeWii, you'll notice that the Wiimote is handled like this: there is a little square in the center of the screen and whenever the pointer stays within the square the crosshair moves but the camera stays still. IF the pointer moves outside the box the camera moves accordingly, and this cameera movement is a progressive movement: it does not stop until you put the crosshair again in the inner box. Now, some games have a bigger box, others have a small one. But the important part is the progressive movement! While you can "shave your micemat" with your mouse without loosing anything in the controls, the same thing can't be done with the Wiimote.
- The idea of having the possibility to lock the camera is nice, but I'd reverse it to have freelook as a default and lock camera by pressing A.
- My suggestions:
- - Make FreeLook movement progressive as stated before.
- - Without A pressed you have FreeLook, pressing A locks the camera.
- For the rest the game is rather perfect: audio and GFX are flawlessly rendered on the Wii which is really good.
- Some controls related questions now:
- -Is it possible to map the "Bring virtual Keyboard up" button to a different button? It is quite annoying having the keyboard popping up every time you crouch!
- --Erik Bauer 08:36, 12 December 2009 (UTC)
- I may be wrong, but I think the control "wackyness" has to do with this being ported from the DS, for example, the whole "point somewhere on the screen, press A and start dragging" is the same thing as "put the stylus somewhere on the screen, push it down and start dragging". (this is just a guess though really, I don't have a slot2 device to run Quake2 on the DS) --Solcott 19:12, 13 December 2009 (UTC)
Really nice work you have there Izhido, being it the first release really gives hope to iron out a few things, great port nonetheless. I coincide with Namo and other users, that the bounding box system is very confusing, when the aim reach the limit you can turn over the character axis, instead you need recenter the reticule again, like dragging the pointer every time. However the GCN controls are flawless, they really sensitive =). Not sure if the online component is implemented yet, I can´t get pass the "connect to..." screen. If there alternatives to playing online please share with us =P. Another thing, it takes very long to load, I´m running it off an USB thumbdrive. I´ve having some crash after loading a new stage, I think I got a crash every 3 stages or so, it´s random, good think it store my progress after the crush XD.
- Keep the god work! TunaLover 21:44, 11 December 2009 (UTC)