|This is an old revision of this page, as edited by Wildgoosespeeder at 01:22, 16 August 2011. It may differ significantly from the .|
Smash Stack is an exploit from Comex that uses a flaw in the custom stages in Super Smash Bros. Brawl (NTSC-U) to load unauthorized code on the Wii. It was released on August 20, 2009. It works for all System Menu versions.
Note: An SDHC card will not work with Super Smash Brothers Brawl. You must have an SD card that is 2GB or less.
- Go to the stage builder, move any existing custom stages on Brawl to your SD card, and exit the stage builder. Smash Stack will not work if the console has any custom stages on it, even the three samples that come with a new file or the stages from the Smash Service. You will need to wait at least 24 hours for the stage from the Smash Service to be automatically deleted before trying to run this exploit. DO NOT go on Wi-Fi once the Smash Service stage is deleted.
- Connect the SD card to your computer and rename the "private" folder to "privateold" in the root of the SD card.
- Copy the "private" folder from the Smash Stack download to the root of the SD card.
- Grab a *.elf file (HackMii Installer's boot.elf works) and put that in the root of the SD card.
- Insert the SD card into the Wii.
- Go back to the stage builder and the .elf file will load.
How it works
Smash Stack works by exploiting the way Super Smash Bros. Brawl loads stages. It is different from the Twilight Hack and Indiana Pwns exploits in the way it is loaded. Twilight Hack and Indiana Pwns exploit the save files of their respective games to execute a stack smash and load custom code. Super Smash Bros. Brawl's stage loader loads from the SD card and not from a save file on the Wii itself. Since the exploit is loaded from SD, it completely bypasses the System Menu, making it difficult for Nintendo to patch.
Unofficial Japanese Version
|Smash Stack NTSC-J|
Y.S. has released a version of Smash Stack for 大乱闘スマッシュブラザーズX (Japanese version of Super Smash Bros. Brawl).
It works the same as Smash Stack but was created separately.
Unofficial PAL/KOR Version
|Smash Stack PAL/KOR|
giantpune has released an unofficial version of Smash Stack that works on both Korean and European Wii consoles and games. There are two different versions, one for a Wii with SSBB save data and one for without SSBB save data.