Template:Infobox homebrewapp The Homebrew Browser allows you to download the latest homebrew applications and games all through your Wii. You don't need to take your SD card out. You don't even need a computer! You can also delete homebrew you no longer want.
No more dead links, no more extracting files, no more finding out that the homebrew application doesn't include an icon.png and meta.xml in the zip file!
Have a useful application that isn't in HBB? Request it be added.
Check out the up to date blog with development progress at www.codemii.com
Have a look at the most popular applications downloaded with the Homebrew Browser
- One click download and install for each homebrew application
- One click deletion of homebrew applications
- One click update for homebrew apps
- Auto updating when your Homebrew Browser version is out of date
Run the included ELF with your favourite method to boot homebrew. Uses the Wiimote with IR.
Green Tick - You have the latest version of that homebrew application installed.
Blue Tick - You don't have the latest version of that homebrew application installed.
|Previous 6 homebrew applications|
|Next 6 homebrew applications|
|Return to loader|
If you need to correct your IR cursor in the application, use:
|Y - 25|
|Y + 25|
|X - 50|
|X + 50|
How it works
- The Homebrew Browser (HBB) contacts the main server to receive a list of current homebrew applications. The list includes the application names, image file sizes, boot file sizes and whether it is a dol or elf file, as well as the names of any other required files.
- HBB checks to see if the user has the latest image files (stored in /temp) for all homebrew listed. If the image is out of date or missing, it downloads the image file.
- Once in HBB and when selecting a game to install, it downloads the icon.png, meta.xml and boot.dol/elf, along with any other needed files from the server.
Notes for Homebrew Developers
How icons for HBB are selected
If there is no icon.png file in a homebrew application then an icon is included if one can be found.
If there is no name on the icon and if the picture doesn't represent very clearly what the application does then it is replaced with an icon that has a name.
Homebrew Application folder naming
I will stick to the folder names used when you extract each homebrew application. Folders with spaces will be replaced with underscores. If your files don't come in a folder, then a folder name will be created. If your homebrew application used a folder name before HBB and you've updated your application, the user will notice that there is an update to your application.
An example is MAsteroids. The game was developed before HBB. Lets say that the game gets updated. Since they are using a folder name, I can simple place the new boot.dol/elf on the server, change the file size and when the user loads HBB it will notice that they have an existing install of MAsteroids and then the user can update to the latest version.
To make my life easier...
- Include an icon.png and a meta.xml file with your homebrew application.
- Try to follow the meta.xml standard and test your meta.xml file in HBC.
- Include a date and version number with your homebrew release, otherwise I will use the timestamp from the boot.dol/elf file and name it v0.1.
- Put your homebrew application files into a folder and then zip up that folder. Try to keep using that folder name for the homebrew applications life.
Homebrew Apps in HBB
Below you will find a changelog of added apps, for an alphabetically ordered list look here: 
|28 August 2008|
|24 August 2008|
|22 August 2008|
|17 August 2008|
|14 August 2008|
|10 August 2008|
|07 August 2008|
|03 August 2008|
|01 August 2008|
|31 July 2008|
|29 July 2008||
|26 July 2008|
|22 July 2008|
|20 July 2008|
|19 July 2008||
|17 July 2008||
|16 July 2008|
|15 July 2008|
|13 July 2008|
|11 July 2008|
|10 July 2008|
|09 July 2008|
|08 July 2008|
|07 July 2008|
|06 July 2008||
|05 July 2008||
|02 July 2008|
|01 July 2008|
|30 June 2008||
|29 June 2008|
3 August 2008 (v0.2.1b)
- Added the ability to cancel downloads at any time by pressing B
- Added a slight rumble when moving over any button
- Moved help and controls icon to left of banner
27 July 2008 (v0.2.1a)
- Fixed the issue when downloading most of the temporary images for the first time it caused HBB to exit
- Added text to describe what each icon does when you move the cursor over it
26 July 2008 (v0.2.1)
- Cursor now rotates and disappears when IR is not pointed to the IR sensor (thanks ebool)
- Added about and controls icon
- Added functionality to remove old files that some applications don't use when you update
- Added statistics gathering which will be displayed on a webpage
- Changed IP address from wiiregionworld.com to codemii.com
13 July 2008 (v0.2.0b)
- Increased buffer size so applications that require a lot of files will work
- Added HTTP no-cache so users behind a proxy will always retrieve the latest version of the apps list
10 July 2008 (v0.2.0a)
- Small bugfix, downloading Raytracer, Wiiwhiteboard, etc should now work
9 July 2008 (v0.2.0)
- Supports applications which load files from the SD card
- Added categorisation of homebrew applications
- Ability to install HBB via wiiload
- Updated tick icons
- Updated "Download" image to change to "Update" if you already have the application installed
- New icon displays even if you have an older version of the application
- Fixed issue when downloading 4 applications HBB would exit
- Does not download the icon.png file if you already have that application installed
4 July 2008 (v0.1.2)
- Added checks to make sure the server response is valid
- Uses new graphics made by LowLines
- New mouse pointer
- "New" icon appears depending on the time
- Uses GRRLIB 3.0.1a
- (A few hours later) Fixed images getting corrupted when loaded previous and next 6 images a few times and now downloads the icon.png and meta.xml files for the HBB if you update
30 June 2008 (v0.1.1)
- Fixed issue with requesting files from server (thanks joedj)
- Enabled auto updating (press B when asked if you don't want to update)
- New logo and HBC icon (thanks LowLines)
29 June 2008 (v0.1)
- Initial Release
- Don't use a black screen when loading
- Find calm background music
- Print text on images at run time, instead of having images with text
- Allow users to change the default icon
- Prompt user if they want to keep their existing icon for a homebrew application they are updating
- Replace the little about box with an about window, so things like ratings, download statistics, a longer description and maybe a screenshot can be shown
- Use 7z files instead of downloading each individual file
- Have an update all button to update all applications
- Increase font size
- Use threading to download files so that you can do other things whilst downloading
- Add controller images to each application
- LowLines for the Homebrew Browser logo, HBC icon and all other graphics
- joedj for network code in ftpii
- NoNameNo and RedShade for GRRLIB
- Thanks to all the Wii homebrew developers and HBC icon creators
- Thanks to all the v0.1 testers
A message from Low Lines
While designing graphics for teknecal's Homebrew Browser, I have been using a Flash-Based Demo to simulate it (makes it easier to design) and work on possible future features that may be added when teknecal feels ready. Discussion about this can be found here. I am open to ideas and suggestions, and this also provides everyone with a usable demonstration of the Browser.