Devkitppc setup (Windows)
This tutorial aims to:
- Show you how to setup the devkitppc development enviroment on a Windows computer
- Run a hello world example on the include Gcube emulator
- Set you on the road to creating your own homebrew software to be loaded with the Twilight Hack
- Goto [] and download the latest Windows installer.
- Let it install to the C:\devkitPro\ to make it easier to follow the tutorial for now.
- When installing it, you can deselect devkitarm and devkitpsp
- Click next until it finishes installing
Setup your project folder
- Browse to C:\devkitPro\msys\ and run msys.bat. This will open a command prompt type window. This is where a bit of your time will be taking place. Close it for now.
- Now, browse to C:\devkitPro\msys\home\. Depending on your windows username, there should be a folder in here. From now on, I will refer to this folder as your home directory.
- Copy the folder C:\devkitPro\examples\wii\template\ to (your home directory) and rename it to "helloworld" so that the full path is C:\devkitPro\msys\home\(your username)\helloworld\
Compile the Hello World Example
- Run msys.bat again.
- type "ls" and press enter to see the directories in your home directory
- type "cd helloworld" and press enter to switch into the helloworld directory
- type "make" and press enter to complile the example
Run the Hello World Example
- Now, browse to the helloworld folder. There should be a helloworld.dol file here now.
- Open this file, and when windows asks what program to use, tell it to use C:\devkitpro\emulators\gcube\gcube.exe
The resulting dol should be compatible with the Twilight Hack
Some Code snippets
Here are some code snippets, that can be very usefully (all without quotes!):
Reload .elf: "((void(*)())(0x80001800))();"